Woman looking at a computer

uninsured employers

If you have been injured and your employer is uninsured, a claim can still be made for workers compensation.

If you’ve been injured and your employer does not have a workers compensation insurance policy, you can make a claim through icare workers insurance.

We act as the 'Nominal Insurer' for uninsured claims.

Before accepting liability for your claim, we will conduct our own investigations. These investigations are to determine whether:

  • you are a worker or deemed worker as defined by the Workplace Injury Management and Workers Compensation Act 1998 (1998 Act)
  • you were actually employed by the employer you have nominated as your employer
  • the injury for which you are lodging a claim occurred while you were working for the nominated employer and employment is either a substantial contributing factor or main contributing factor to your injury.

Normal benefits under the 1998 Act apply to claims under these conditions. There are heavy penalties for employers who fail to have a current workers compensation insurance policy.

For further information contact the Claims Support Services Helpline on 1800 221 960 or email wiclaims@icare.nsw.gov.au