Woman looking at a computer

employers and claims

An employer must follow certain procedures in the event of an accident at your workplace.

If a worker is injured at work, you must:

  1. Provide first aid and make sure your worker gets the right care in a timely manner
  2. Notify your insurer of any injury or illness within 48 hours
  3. Record it in your register of injuries
  4. Stay connected with your worker, their doctor and your insurer to identify and offer suitable work options to help your worker recover at work.

Please note: In the case of a serious injury, illness or fatality you must contact State Insurance Regulatory Authority (SIRA) immediately on 13 10 50.

You must also provide the worker with:

  • the name of the insurer
  • the name and contact details of the employer
  • a workers compensation claim form (if requested by the worker).

The workers compensation claim form is available to download in SIRA's guidelines for return to work programs.

update your register of injuries

You must record the injury in your injury register even if a claim has not been made for the injury.

Notifying your insurer

If you notify your insurer within five days, you may avoid paying a claims excess.

You should complete the employer injury claim form if requested by the insurer and:

  • sign the employer's declaration
  • attach a copy of the certificate of capacity (if available)
  • keep a copy of all documents for your records
  • send the form, the certificate of capacity and receipts to the insurer within seven days after receiving them from your worker
  • discuss with your worker how he/she may receive weekly payments.

Provide suitable employment

Your employees depend on work for their livelihood. You should provide suitable employment for the injured worker wherever possible and any assistance that will help the worker recover and return to work quickly.

You must also cooperate and participate in the establishment of injury management and return to work plans for the injured worker.

You must notify your workers compensation insurer if you’re unable to provide suitable employment for the injured worker.

Related Content

making a claim

Contact Us

13 44 22
7am to 7pm
Mon to Fri