Man smiling with hard hat

who to insure

Information on sole traders and partnerships, insurance for small, medium and large employers and principal contractor issues, cross border arrangements, and the workers status service.

  • sole trader and partnerships

    If you’re a sole trader/proprietor or member of a partnership, you’re not a worker in your own business and can’t take out workers compensation insurance to cover yourself.

  • insurance for small employers

    You’re a small employer if you have a basic tariff premium (total wages x your industry rate) of $30,000 or less.

  • insurance for medium and large employers

    Experience rated businesses are employers with an average performance premium (total wages x your industry rate) greater than $30,000.

  • cross border arrangements

    If one of your workers carries out employment in more than one state or territory, then they’re considered to be a cross border worker.

  • principal contractor issues

    Some subcontractors are also treated as workers, and the principal contractor must cover them for workers compensation and declare any payments made as wages.

  • worker status service

    SIRA’s Worker Status Service offers specialised assistance to employers, to help you determine who you need to include in your workers compensation policy.