Soccer ball on a pitch

sporting injuries insurance scheme

The NSW Sporting Injuries Insurance Scheme offers no fault insurance to sports participants for serious injuries and death.

Our NSW Sporting Injuries Insurance Scheme insures sporting participants against serious injuries and death.

You can take out a policy under the scheme to cover your organisation’s registered participants while they’re carrying out authorised sporting activities. Our cover can also be used to complement private health insurance or other forms of player accident insurance.

Participants can include:

  • players (both senior and junior)
  • officials

Authorised sporting activities can include:

  • competitions
  • trials
  • training

We cover serious injuries, such as permanent loss affecting a participant’s arms, legs, sight, hearing and mental capacity.

We don’t cover minor injuries, like breaks, sprains, abrasions, cuts and bruises, or dental injuries. If you want insurance against these types of injuries, you’ll need to take out your own private insurance (more information about secondary policies below).

Our sporting injuries cover is available for as little as a $1 per participant, with a minimum annual premium of $165.

Insurance application process

To apply for cover under the Sporting Injuries Insurance Scheme, just complete our membership application form and send it to:


NSW Sporting Injuries
92–100 Donnison Street
Gosford NSW 2250

We’ll then get in touch with you about the success of your application.

You can find more information in our information pack (guidelines), or you can contact us on 13 44 22 or


Benefits are paid as a lump sum. The amount payable to your sporting participants depends on how serious their injury is.

Although premium rates for participants under the age of 18 are about 20 per cent  of the rate for participants over 18, they’re entitled to the same benefits for serious injuries (death benefits differ). When the injured person is under 18, their benefits are paid to the Public Trustee.

The amounts we pay out are listed in our benefits guide.

Any time there’s an injury that could result in a claim for benefits, you need to start by filling out the initial injury advice form.

To apply for injury benefits, your participant will need to complete the injury benefits application form. There’s no need to seek legal advice to make the application.

To apply for death benefits for a deceased participant, their dependent will need to complete the death benefit application form.

When lodging an application for benefits, your participant or their dependent will need to include:

  • a statement from an official of your sporting organisation detailing the circumstances of the injury and confirming the participant was a registered person doing an authorised activity
  • a statement from your participant detailing the circumstances surrounding the injury
  • a statement from at least one witness to the injury describing the circumstances surrounding the injury
  • medical documents to support the claim, such as medical reports, hospital notes, etc.

If you want to discuss the claims process you can phone us on 13 44 22 or email us at

Further information

Workers compensation exemption

Participants in the scheme are not deemed to be 'workers' under NSW workers compensation legislation when they are:

  • participating in an authorised activity of your organisation
  • engaged in training or preparing with a view to participating in an authorised activity
  • on a journey in connection with participation or training.

This means that if they’re covered under your sporting injuries insurance policy, they may not need workers compensation insurance coverage. However, as each person’s circumstances are unique, you should contact us on 13 44 22 or at if you need more information.

Secondary policies

Because the scheme only provides cover for permanent injury, death and disablement, many sporting organisations (or individual participants) will have a secondary policy to insure for other things like loss of wages, medical expenses, minor injuries such as broken bones, and dental.

Examples include:

  • a personal accident and illness policy
  • an income protection insurance policy.

We don’t offer these insurances. If you’re seeking this type of policy, you should contact an insurance company or broker.


The claims and benefits processes of the NSW Sporting Injuries Insurance Scheme are legislated under the Sporting Injuries Insurance Act 1978,as well as the Sporting Injuries Insurance Rule 1997 and the Sporting Injuries Insurance Regulation 2014.